20091201

a pound of cure


Hi, my name is David and I'm addicted to never backing up my files.

(now you say: "Hi, David!" You're trying to make me feel safe and welcome.)

Hi. It's true. I don't backup files. I suffer from pathological optimism, so I don't see the point in making copies of my work. What's the worst that could happen?

It turns out that the worst that could happen is actually pretty bad. Because of a power surge on my laptop's USB port, I recently lost:

  • all of the recordings from TWF's last release.
  • all of the recordings from TWB's last release.
  • any song idea, sketch or demo recorded in the last year.
  • a sample library meticulously curated and groomed over the last six years.

Needless to say, I was a little despondent about the melt down. It was bad enough that I couldn't even pick up a musical instrument or launch Ableton Live for over a month. But then, in the midst of my preparations for hari-kari, it came to me. Linux. The Little Operating System that Could. It had saved my ass more than once before--maybe it could save the day again. So I booted up into Ubuntu, plugged in the drive, and the OS recognized it (where Windows had just frozen in protest). I launched a terminal, and after a typed flurry of "ls", "cp", and "sudo mkdir" I had recovered my drive.

Please. Learn from my plight. Friends don't let friends not backup their hard drives.


No comments: