20090809

the balkanization of epistemology

After a summer full of guerilla recording in a humid trailer on dusty back country roads with a fifth of black velvet, we're excited to offer up our newest collection of songs--"The Balkanization of Epistemology". It's full of found sounds, illegal samples and cut up words about life. The wordy title is a tip of the hat to our boy Terrence McKenna:
This balkanization of epistemology: it's sort of like, if you believed in economic theory, thinking that it would be a good idea if everybody printed their own money. And then to the degree that you had vigor for the use of your printing press, you could run off more and more copies of whatever meme you had invested in, and I suppose these things would compete. In your imagination they would compete--but anybody who's studied economics for ten minutes can tell you there's something called Gresham's Law, which is that "bad money drives out good money." And I think it's even more true with ideology. Squirrelly ideas drive out ideas of depth and substance. There's a kind of danger of being gently--without quite noticing what's going on--ushered into a world of increasingly more cartoonlike ontological and epistemological fantasies about what's going on, or what's partially going on.
The songs are available in either MP3 or FLAC format. The links to download them for free are right here:
If you still believe in paying for music (a tenuous metaphysical concept), you can download the songs right here:


Give it a listen; we're excited to hear your thoughts. Bonus points for remixes and mashups.

7 comments:

Marcus "Midgetmunky" Heitmann said...

Hey, I'm Marcus Heitmann. Some of you may have went to school with my sister Marie Heitmann. (Grad 2000) I live in Jesup IA. I just downloaded "The Balkanization of Epistemology" and I am blown away. This got me thinking, since you guys have roots in Jesup, why not play at farmers day next year? Just for the novelty of it if anything. Its the 150th Farmers day or something like that so its gonna be a week long. I think that is just the occasion for you guys to play.


Your supporter,
Marcus Heitmann

P.S. David, I heard a rumor that you got a perfect on your ACT, drunk. I'd love to see this confirmed. :]

Colonel Sartoris said...

Hey Marcus - thank you for the kind words. I didn't know your sister too well personally, but I definitely remember her [we were in HS band together].

You know, I'm really not sure if we'll play Farmers Day this year - it depends on many factors. I would lean toward, "No", though. We're usually out on the road during that time and schedules don't usually line up. We play in Iowa City often, though, if you'd be interested in catching a show. I had no idea it was the 150th anniversary. I will celebrate by swallowing an entire corn dog. No ketchup, chewing, nothing.

David - please confirm or deny this ACT rumor. Are you more than a mere mortal man [an M.M.M.]?

LucasJ said...

Glad you guys put these online. Really like the programmed beats in Rabbit Dog. Are you guys doing another full length anytime in the near future? With George's on it perhaps? That'd be awesome.

r said...

thanks for the kindness, ya'll!

regarding any questionable standardized testing...taking my cue from Dr. Tim Leary's escape from the cali state pen, i actually wrote the test. it was a stacked deck.

george's is still floating around somewhere...it'll be touch down again some day.

define full length.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've been following you guys off and on for the past few years. One of your songs popped into my head the other night, and I decided to look you guys up again. Lo and behold, you're playing in St. Louis this week! Rock on. I will be there for sure. Keep on rockin'.

Colonel Sartoris said...

right on! see you there, Brett.

Colonel Sartoris said...

right on, see you there, Brett. LEMP is the best.